Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cheesy Ham & Noodle Casserole--A Family Favorite

Occasionally, I'm asked for ideas on what to do with leftovers--especially meals that leave you with an abundance of left over meat. This was the case yesterday when Alissa asked for ideas on how to use all the leftover ham sitting in her fridge. I love to turn a ham bone and ham tidbits into a big pot of navy bean and ham soup--which would be perfect on a cold snowy day like today. :-) Another family favorite is "Cheesy Ham & Noodle Casserole"  so, for me, it was a "no brainer" in what to recommend. It's definitely what I'd categorize as being a true "comfort food."  It is deliciously creamy and good and is quite simple to make.




Cheesy Ham & Noodle Casserole


Saute:
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped

Stir in:
1 (family size) can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups Swiss or cheddar cheese (I prefer Swiss--but a mix of the two is very good as well)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cubed ham
1 package egg noodles, cooked & drained (I used shell macaroni because that's what I had)
Cheddar cheese for topping

Mix all of the ingredients together. You can sprinkle additional cheese on top if you like (I typically do). Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly or golden brown.



4 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! THANK YOU!! I might be missing a yellow onion :-( Apparently, I need to stock pile them!! Any ideas for an alternative to onions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that but don't think I have any of those either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not really sure. An onion is an important part of the recipe. Do you have any green onions? You could still make this without the onion--it just won't be quite as yummy as if prepared as directed.

    ReplyDelete